What is AboutKidsHealth?
AboutKidsHealth is a health education resource for children, youth and caregivers that is approved by health-care providers at The Hospital for Sick Children. AboutKidsHealth empowers families to become a partner in their own health care by equipping them with reliable, evidence-based health information. It makes complex health information easy to understand for families, and makes it immediately available whenever and wherever they have questions about child health regardless of where they are in Canada or the world.
Improve the health and wellbeing of children in Canada and around the world by making accessible health care information available via the Internet.
- All children deserve the best possible opportunity for a healthy, full childhood.
- The Internet is an extraordinary tool that offers a unique opportunity to support better paediatric health in both advantaged and vulnerable populations in Canada and world-wide.
- An informed and proactive approach to child health results in better outcomes.
- We have a responsibility to educate children and their caregivers to become partners in their own health and well-being.
Impact on child health
Education is one of the most important resources when it comes to child health. Better health education leads to better health outcomes for children and families. For example, research has shown that providing families with this health knowledge helps more children understand and follow treatment plans and can reduce unnecessary hospitalization.
AboutKidsHealth collaborates with the health-care providers at The Hospital for Sick Children to produce health education resources that equip families with the information they need along the journey of patient care:
- for prevention and healthy living
- at diagnosis and referral
- during treatment
- during recovery and care at home
Published and last revised