Normal saline is a mixture of salt and water. It is called normal because its salt concentration is similar to tears, blood and other body fluids (0.9% saline). It is also called isotonic solution. Normal saline is soothing and will not burn or sting when applied. It is used for:
- rinsing contact lenses
- rinsing the nasal passages (nasal irrigation)
- cleansing the bladder (bladder irrigation)
How to make normal saline solution at home
Saline solution is easy to make at home. You will need:
- one clean glass bottle or jar with lid
- table salt
- pot with lid
- Put one cup of water and ½ teaspoon of salt into the pot. Put the lid on.
- Boil for 15 minutes with the lid on (set a timer).
- Set the pan aside until cooled to a room temperature.
- Carefully pour the salt and water (normal saline) from the pan into the jar or bottle and put the lid on.
Normal saline solution: A few important points
- It is very important to use only fresh normal saline. Bacteria can grow in saline and cause infections
- Use a clean glass jar or bottle is that has been recently washed in a dishwasher with very hot soapy water
- Do not drink solution
- Throw away the solution if it grows cloudy or looks dirty
- Keep the saline in a bottle or a glass for a maximum of 24 hours. Throw away any unused solution, wash the container, and make a new solution.