Normal saline is a sterile mixture of salt and water. It is called normal because its salt concentration is similar to tears, blood, and other body fluids (0.9% saline). It is also called isotonic solution. Normal saline is soothing and will not burn or sting when applied. It is used for:
injecting medicines via the veins (intravenous infusion)
rinsing contact lenses
rinsing the nasal passages (nasal irrigation)
cleansing the bladder (bladder irrigation)
How to make normal saline solution at home
Saline solution is easy to make at home. You will need:
- 1 clean glass bottle or jar with lid
- table salt
- pot with lid
- Put one cup of water and ½ teaspoon of salt into the pot. Put the lid on.
- Boil for 15 minutes with the lid on (set a timer).
- Set the pan aside until cooled to a room temperature.
- Carefully pour the salt and water (normal saline) from the pan into the jar or bottle and put the lid on.
Normal saline solution: A few important points
It is very important to use only fresh normal saline. Bacteria can grow in saline and cause infections
Use a clean glass jar or bottle is that has been recently washed in a dishwasher with very hot soapy water
Do not drink solution
Throw away the solution if it grows cloudy or looks dirty
Keep the saline in a bottle or a glass for a maximum of 24 hours. Throw away any unused solution, wash the container, and make a new solution.