Tooth injury: First aid

PDF download is not available for Arabic and Urdu languages at this time. Please use the browser print function instead

Read about some of the things you can do if your child has a tooth injury.

Key points

  • Injuries to children's teeth are common and can range from minor chipping to a knocked-out tooth.
  • If your child has a loose tooth due to injury or a minor chip, take them to the dentist.
  • If your child has broken, loosened or knocked out a permanent tooth, see a dentist right away. If the tooth was knocked out, rinse it in water and try to place it back in the socket. If that will not work, store the tooth in a cup of milk, in a cooler with ice, and bring it with your child to the dentist.
Last updated: November 20th 2023