Burns: Winter safetyBBurns: Winter safetyBurns: Winter safetyEnglishPreventionChild (0-12 years);Teen (13-18 years)BodyNAHealthy living and preventionCaregivers Adult (19+)NA2011-01-13T05:00:00ZCharis Kelly, RN(EC), MN5.0000000000000074.0000000000000365.000000000000Flat ContentHealth A-Z<p>This page gives advice on how to prevent your child from getting a burn during the winter.</p><h2>How to keep children safe from burn injuries during the holiday season</h2><p>Most <a href="/Article?contentid=1045&language=English">burn</a> injuries are preventable.</p><p>Most burns occur during winter. Here are tips on how to prevent burns around the home.</p><h2>Key points </h2> <ul> <li>Keep your child away from any source of heat especially fireplaces and open flames</li> <li>Eliminate any fire hazard by protecting extension cords and disposing of a dried out Christmas tree.</li> <li>Protect your whole family from carbon monoxide poisoning by installing a carbon monoxide detector.</li> </ul>
Brûlures : sécurité pendant l'hiverBBrûlures : sécurité pendant l'hiverBurns: Winter safetyFrenchPreventionChild (0-12 years);Teen (13-18 years)BodyNAHealthy living and preventionCaregivers Adult (19+)NA2011-01-13T05:00:00ZCharis Kelly, RN(EC), MN5.0000000000000074.0000000000000365.000000000000Flat ContentHealth A-Z<p>Cette page donne de conseils sur la façon d’empêcher votre enfant de se brûler pendant l’hiver.</p><h2>Comment empêcher les enfa​nts de se brûler pendant la période des Fêtes</h2><p>On peut prévenir la majorité des brûlures.</p><p>La plupart d’entre elles surviennent pendant l’hiver. Voici des conseils sur la façon de prévenir les brûlures à la maison.<br></p><h2>À retenir</h2> <ul> <li>Tenez les enfants éloignés des sources de chaleur, en particulier les cheminées et les flammes nues.</li> <li>Éliminez les risques d'incendies en protégeant les rallonges électriques et en jettant votre sapin lorsqu'il est tout sec.</li> <li>Protégez toute votre famille contre un empoisonnement au monoxyde de carbone en installant un déctecteur.</li> </ul>

 

 

Burns: Winter safety1939.00000000000Burns: Winter safetyBurns: Winter safetyBEnglishPreventionChild (0-12 years);Teen (13-18 years)BodyNAHealthy living and preventionCaregivers Adult (19+)NA2011-01-13T05:00:00ZCharis Kelly, RN(EC), MN5.0000000000000074.0000000000000365.000000000000Flat ContentHealth A-Z<p>This page gives advice on how to prevent your child from getting a burn during the winter.</p><h2>How to keep children safe from burn injuries during the holiday season</h2><p>Most <a href="/Article?contentid=1045&language=English">burn</a> injuries are preventable.</p><p>Most burns occur during winter. Here are tips on how to prevent burns around the home.</p><h2>Key points </h2> <ul> <li>Keep your child away from any source of heat especially fireplaces and open flames</li> <li>Eliminate any fire hazard by protecting extension cords and disposing of a dried out Christmas tree.</li> <li>Protect your whole family from carbon monoxide poisoning by installing a carbon monoxide detector.</li> </ul><h3>Fireplaces </h3> <p>Fireplaces can get very hot. Gas fireplaces get hot quickly. Keep your child away from fireplaces. Always use a fire screen. Never leave your child alone near a fireplace. </p> <h3>Carbon monoxide </h3> <p>Carbon monoxide is a colourless and odorless gas that can cause poisoning and even death. Install a <a href="/Article?contentid=1117&language=English">carbon monoxide detector</a> to protect your family. Natural gas appliances such as furnaces, water heaters, dryers and fireplaces need ventilation to avoid carbon monoxide buildup. Do not place objects that might restrict airflow on or near these appliances. If you have concerns, call your gas company.</p> <h3>Extension cords </h3> <p>Extension cords can get hot. Keep items that can catch fire away from them or a fire could start. Keep your child away from extension cords. Never run these cords inside walls, or under rugs or furniture.</p> <h3>Christmas trees </h3> <p>Christmas trees can catch fire when they are dried out. Keep your tree away from candles, fireplaces, heating vents, TVs and other sources of heat. Keep your tree watered. Throw it out when it starts turning brown or dries out. Use decorations that will not burn and are flame resistant.</p> <h3>Open flame</h3> <p>Open flames can be as hot as 1400°C and cause major burns in seconds. Keep candles away from your child and any items that could catch fire. Place candles in stable candle holders that are large enough to collect dripping wax.</p> <h3>Decorative lighting</h3> <p>Lighting can cause fire and burns. Always check light strings for wear or damage before using them. Replace worn sets. Look for the Canadian Standards Association (CSA) or equivalent label from your country. This label means the lights were tested for fire hazards. If you can, use LED lights that create much less heat. </p>https://assets.aboutkidshealth.ca/AKHAssets/burns_winter_safety.jpgBurns: Winter safety

Thank you to our sponsors

AboutKidsHealth is proud to partner with the following sponsors as they support our mission to improve the health and wellbeing of children in Canada and around the world by making accessible health care information available via the internet.