Household hazards and poisons: Basement

PDF download is not available for Arabic and Urdu languages at this time. Please use the browser print function instead

Learn about the common items in your basement, such as bleach, cleansers and lightbulbs, that may be hazardous to children and what you should do if they are accidentally consumed.

Key points

  • Everyday items that you store in your basement may be harmful for children if ingested or consumed.
  • Depending on the risk level and symptoms, you may need to contact your doctor or take your child to the emergency department.

Some of the everyday items you have at home could be poisonous to you or your child. Find more information about each type of hazard, including poisoning risk, treatment at home, and when to seek medical attention, in the dropdowns below.



Last updated: February 1st 2022